27.2.12

FAKE IT OR MAKE IT








Today I bought the famous YSL Arty Oval ring... although it wasnt exactly the real deal... It was an almost exact copy... from Forever New... for $6.95, rather than the $250 I would pay for the real deal. Over the past seasons I have seen it has been quite noticable that many retail stores have been making extremely close replicas to the items designed off the couture and high fashion runways themselves.

Can you pick the difference?
from left to right

1. YSL vs Forever New
2. Balenciaga vs Witchery
3. Collette vs Alexander Mcqueen
4. DNKY vs Collette
5. Michael Kors vs Forever New
6. Aurelie Biddermann vs Sportsgirl
7. Cotton On vs Tiffany & Co

Despite the hefty price and quality, sometimes there's little difference in designs. How are stores allowed to rip off these famous styles? Is there a certain rule that has to be undergone? Is there any differences from seeing something in Sportsgirl than in a copy stall in Bali? Not that I'm saying it's a bad or good thing of course, as I am extremely guilty of buying the versions that have been inspired by high fashion designers, as they are quite obviously in a more affordable price range for myself. Other times I wont mind forking out my card to pay for something I'm truly in love with that I know is the real deal. A perfect explaination given by Meryl Streep in one of my all time favourite movies The Devil Wears Prada-

"Oscar de la Renta did a collection of cerulean gowns. And then I think it was Yves Saint Laurent... wasn't it who showed cerulean military jackets? And then cerulean quickly showed up in the collections of eight different designers. And then it, uh, filtered down through the department stores and then trickled on down into some tragic Casual Corner where you, no doubt, fished it out of some clearance bin"

Just goes to show the quick 'food' chain ladder of the fashion world...

No comments: